7/31/12

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS EMAIL.

A "COULD HAVE BEEN" STORY


I almost had my bags packed for Berlin. I opened my email a couple of hours ago and read a mail from a Mr Erkins. Mr. Erkins doesn't know me and I don't know him, but he was referred to me by a Mr. Hofer. I don't recall knowing Mr. Hofer either, but I don't know if he knows me, or of me - I have diverse articles and illustrations up on the web, maybe he's come across my work.


Anyway, Mr. Erkins is the production manager on a new project for Hahn filmstudios, based in Berlin. They make grand animation films and series for television, games, feature films and advertising companies. Mr. Hofer is the head of the set-design team, and suggested to Mr. Erkins that I might be suitable to join the team. In the email, Mr. Erkins asked if I would be interested, was I available for the coming four months, and would I send a small portfolio of my work so Mr. Hahn himself could get familiar with my qualities.


I had to stop what I was doing when I read all this, make myself another cup of coffee, go outside and smoke another cigarette, then re-read the mail a few more times. This is funny. They are making a film called 1001 Nights... I just mentioned that title in my Mezrab-song. And I've been musing over the role of illustration in my life and if it's what I really want to do, and how far do I want to develop this activity in the future. Could this be a sign? Could this be one of those "big breaks" that you always waited for, what you always hear about, that alter and determine the path and success of your life?


My first thought was: shit! I mean, what do I know about set-design? Could I do it? I've got no experience in that field, I'm not a schooled illustrator... just someone with a bit of talent in sketching sweet characters for children's books. And who is this Mr. Hofer, and where did he get to know of me? And what do I do with my present book and my business if I've got to head for Berlin. And would I dare to take the job if they found my work suitable? And which pictures should I send them? By chance I illustrated a book a few years ago that was set in the period and locations of "1001 Nights"... I suppose that would do for starters.


Now, before going any further, I thought it best to gather my best work together so I could make a reply. Could be that they've made a mistake anyway - best to check that and get back in touch with Mr. Erkins. While I was going through my portfolio maps on the computer I got a telephone call from a friend, and we got talking about identity cards and passports here in Holland, and how you only need one or the other as a EU citizen. Then it occurred to me that I've got neither - I've just sent my passport away for renewal and my identity card is also out of date. Shit! again... I'd have to get that arranged pronto if I was to go to Berlin.


And Berlin? Well yes, that would be an adventure, so I wouldn't pass this chance up. It would improve my financial situation, give me a terrific "once-in-a-lifetime" experience, and provide me with some special stories to tell. Okay, I've convinced myself - if this is real, I'm going for it. So I was arranging some examples of my work to add to the reply email to Mr. Erkins, asking him to first double-check that he's got the right man, to be aware that I'm a children's book illustrator with no experience of set-design, and if my "qualities" are still suitable then YES! I am interested in the offer and I AM free to start immediately (don't tell him about the passport).


All this happened in the space of a half-hour. Then I got the second email from Mr. Erkins:


Dear Michael,
It is looking like by case I contacted the wrong Michael!? I just tried to find some further informations and samples of works in the internet and I have found out that you aren't the spanish Michael.
I'm sorry for bothering you with my email. Please just disregard it.



Ah wel!!! No hurry with the passport then.





No comments:

Post a Comment